|Back to Back Issues Page|
News From Maria Pease, Issue #008 -
August 04, 2014
News From The Home Office
Tips For Fiction Writers
Those of us who write know that sometimes we just need a tip or two to get that motivation to get started on our next project. Here are a few that always help me so I thought I'd pass them along. I hope they help you too!
I recommend that you choose the ones that you find most helpful and start there.
1. Read books in the genre you're interested in writing. As you read, pay attention to how the story and characters develop.
2. Write what you are interested in writing. It's tough enough to write well, but trying to chase the market is not how you will improve. If you love writing romance, don't write mysteries because you think they sell better.
3. There are a lot of authors who swear by a very detailed outline. If that doesn't feel right for you, don't do it. When it comes to writing, it's all about doing what works for you.
4. Allow your characters to come off the page. They don't have to be perfect, and they shouldn't be. You want them to be beautifully flawed.
5. Keep the story moving forward. If your reader is bored, you're cooked.
6. Show, don't tell. Use your writing to allow your readers to use all their senses. Let them "see" your story as it develops.
7. Remember, readers are smart. Be sure to create a story that won't disappoint them.
8. Get help. It's too much to write and be responsible for editing. Hire an experienced editor. It's worth the expense to have the finished product be the best it can be.
9. Think about all your publishing options. The publishing industry is changing and authors are enjoying the control they have over their work.
10. Enjoy the process. Writing a book is a labor of love. Enjoy each step and continue to learn from the experience.
Are you looking for a career as a writer where you can make a great income doing what you love? Take a look at the home study course
Secrets of Writing High-Performance B2B Copy
Website NewsI'm adding some great information to my website www.mariapease.com. There are articles and writing tips if you are interested in writing yourself and I am always available to answer your questions.
Available For Speaking EngagementsIf you would like a speaker or to do a workshop for your class, club, organization or any event, please feel free to contact me.
* The Writing Process
I bring some great materials to show and am happy to include a question & answer session!
Ask The ExpertDo you have a question? Ask it here and I'll answer it for you!
BooksIf you'd like to learn more about my books, Malicious Intent A Sam Parker Mystery and Malicious Secrets A Sam Parker Mystery you can read the synopsis and several chapters FREE! Take a look!
How would you like to have a business where you can write in your free time and make some great money to boot? If this is something you would enjoy, take a look at
Need A Writer?Do you need professional copywriting services to build your website, write a brochure, draft a newsletter or write what you want to say to your clients and customers?
As a freelance copywriter, my goal is to help you to communicate clearly and effectively with your clients and customers, improve your profits, and make your life easier.
Most likely, you just want to be able to focus on your business and get home on time for a change.
I'd like to help you do that.
Talk with you soon!
|Back to Back Issues Page|