|Back to Back Issues Page|
News From Maria Pease, Issue #009 -
January 01, 2015
News From The Home Office
Start Your Year Out Write!
If you have always wanted to write a book, there is no reason you can't start this year.
I know it really seems like this huge undertaking and to be honest, it is. But if you can start to think differently about it, and make it more manageable, you will do it.
Here are my tips on how I begin to write each book.
1. Decide on a basic storyline. I don't plan out every detail and write a long outline. Some writer's need to do it, so if you do, you should. I write a few paragraphs about each storyline I'm planning to write and then don't stress out when it changes.
2. Create your main characters. I like to know my characters and love to choose their names, their personalities, quirks and all. I make a list and leave room to add things as they develop.
3. Choose the setting. I love writing about the place where I live and scouting out locations is fun when you put your characters in place. You don't have to write about where you live though, you can make up the city or town too if you enjoy that.
4. Don't worry about doing it right. When you start to write, you may worry about following every rule, but that can crush imagination. There is plenty of time to worry about the rules and once you have your first draft on paper, you will want to make sure you pay attention to most of them.
5. Do your research. I'm a big believer in the story. If it doesn't make sense or if facts are wrong, I get lost.
6. Be consistent. Characters names shouldn't change half way through the book and it shouldn't be an evening scene that all of a sudden turns into the afternoon.
These are my top tips. I'll be sharing more over the next few months!
Now, go start planning your book!
This year I want to focus on providing the information you most want to know about. There is really so much to writing so please let me know what information will help you.
Are you looking for a career as a writer where you can make a great income doing what you love? Take a look at the home study course
Secrets of Writing High-Performance B2B Copy
Website NewsI'm adding some great information to my website www.mariapease.com. There are articles and writing tips if you are interested in writing yourself and I am always available to answer your questions.
Available For Speaking EngagementsIf you would like a speaker or to do a workshop for your class, club, organization or any event, please feel free to contact me.
* The Writing Process
I bring some great materials to show and am happy to include a question & answer session!
Ask The ExpertDo you have a question? Ask it here and I'll answer it for you!
BooksIf you'd like to learn more about my books, Malicious Intent A Sam Parker Mystery and Malicious Secrets A Sam Parker Mystery you can read the synopsis and several chapters FREE! Take a look!
How would you like to have a business where you can write in your free time and make some great money to boot? If this is something you would enjoy, take a look at
Need A Writer?Do you need professional copywriting services to build your website, write a brochure, draft a newsletter or write what you want to say to your clients and customers?
As a freelance copywriter, my goal is to help you to communicate clearly and effectively with your clients and customers, improve your profits, and make your life easier.
Most likely, you just want to be able to focus on your business and get home on time for a change.
I'd like to help you do that.
Talk with you soon!
|Back to Back Issues Page|